14 November 2010

I'm thankful for...

Continuing on my Thanksgiving train of thought...

I teach three and four year old children at church, which means there's not a lot of actual teaching going on.  We talk about something and then do an activity or song or something so that one boy doesn't feel the need to turn upside down in his chair and kick the girl next to him.  Then we talk a bit more, and the cycle continues.  (including the upside down in the chair bit)  It's interesting to say the least, and I can certainly say that kids say the darndest things.

Anyway, today, I asked the kids what holiday was coming up this month.  One girl yelled Christmas!  *sigh*  Nobody else had an answer.  So, we spent the time discussing Thanksgiving, what it means, who we are thankful to, and what we are thankful for.  We covered the basics; earth, water, sunshine, bodies.  Hopefully that will get them started thinking about all the things to be grateful for. 

I have noticed on Facebook, lots of people posting a daily gratitude statement.  I meant to do it too, but I just haven't.  I think it's a great idea, even if it's only a personal thing, maybe I should start writing thoughts on my calendar.  I know thoughts have come to me.  For example, I am so thankful that my husband found a small group of other students in his Calculus class that he can study and work on assignments with.  Before that, I was studying with him, which meant that I wasn't getting anything else done.  I mean, high school calc was over 10 years ago... I don't really remember it, and we were staying up ridiculously late at night after the kids were in bed, trying to get things done.  I was starting to get worn down, as our baby would wake up not long after we went to bed.  I could feel sickness creeping up on my tired body and I just couldn't see how we were going to make it.  And then, he found a group to study with.  It has been such a blessing all around.  I guess this is two thankful thoughts in one, because I am thankful for that group, but also that my prayer was answered. 

What are you thankful for today?

2 comments:

  1. Just hang in there a minute....

    trying to put this right....

    I'm thankful, that I was given the opportunity to have a family, not just the ones I am related to, but my blog family as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope "your little ones" are not all like my grandson. He's five now, but wants to do his own thing most of the time when he's with me. I can't imagine how things go in his classroom at school.I figure his teacher will be bald if I ever meet her.

    ReplyDelete