11 November 2010

Honey wheat bagel recipe

I thought I'd post this recipe too.  Around this time last year, I made bagels for the first time.  I was very pregnant, and I was nesting in a big way, cleaning out the cupboards and baking any recipe I came across.  My husband at this point was not surprised to come home to any baked good, or any mess on the kitchen floor.  He's a good sport about trying things too. 

To make bagels, you mix and proof dough, like any bread, but then you boil the bagels and then bake them.  Those bagels on my first try looked doughy still.  They were very white and un-cooked looking.  Then I found another recipe that said to add 2 tsp baking soda to each cup of water in the boiling pot.  I have heard of doing that to make pretzels, so I was worried to use that much.  I didn't want pretzels.  I made a compromise and did 1 tsp for every cup of water.  These ones look much better than my first try.  Of course, they are wheat this time, so they look different anyway.  Here's the recipe:

Honey Wheat Bagels
adapted from lilacs.in.bloom and Cooking with Food Storage
1 cup water
1 1/2 Tbs honey
1 cup bread flour
2 cups wheat flour (actually, I didn't need this much, so add a little at a time)
1 1/4 salt
1 1/2 tsp yeast
any other ingredient you want (blueberries, sunflower seeds, etc.)

Mix up the dough.  I start with the water, honey and yeast, then add flours and salt and any other ingredients you want.  Shape into ten disks and then push thumbs into middle and make a hole.  I don't think I made mine quite big enough.  I let them rest for 30 minutes, but you probably don't need to wait that long.  It was cold in my kitchen, so they didn't rise much.  Then, place into boiling water.  One recipe says for 10 seconds, the other says 20 seconds per side.  I went with the 20 on each side.  Flip and remove with a slotted spoon.  After you remove them, you can put a topping on them if you wish.  Maybe next time I'll do some sesame seeds. I put them onto corn meal to try to give them that store bought look, but it just turned into a mess of soggy corn meal.  Next time I'll just do parchment paper or a greased pan.  Bake at 450 for 8-9 minutes. 

I'm enjoying mine with nutella on top.  Yum!

1 comment:

  1. Has been a while since I made bagels. Yours look really good! I love honey wheat, mmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete