01 February 2011

Dinner Crepes recipe

First of all, thanks for the well wishes.  I am feeling so much better today.  Unfortunately, my two girls have both come down with something.  It hit them at the same time I got hit, but it's different.  My dancing queen has a nasty cough.  I hate listening to her cough in the night, knowing I've done everything I can for her.

Also, yesterday, I received a little gift from Boboloo.  These adorable crayon rolls.  At least one of these will be going in the diaper bag to corral those random crayons that end up in there.







It was a fun baking day today, although I did set the smoke alarm off once.  Something under the burner that didn't seem to mind lower heats, got a bit smoky when I was heating up the water. 

We still have plenty of bread, so that didn't make the list.  Instead, I decided to make more wheat bagels.  I have not been able to find any at the grocery store the last several times I've looked.  However, I was dissatisfied with my last ones because after a day or two, they seemed to get kind of soggy.  I found a recipe that suggested boiling longer, so I gave it a go.
I boiled them for a minute on each side, then baked in a 500 degree oven for 5 minutes, reduced the heat to 450 and baked for another 5 minutes.  So far, these are my favorite bagels yet.  We'll see how I feel about them tomorrow.  They aren't the prettiest bagels I've ever seen, but I blame that on the trip to the doctor.  I put them in the fridge while we were gone, and they were quite lumpy looking when I finally boiled them.  The flavor is good though.
 
In addition to the bagels, I made crepes, which isn't really baking, but who's keeping track?  I've been wanting to make dinner crepes for a while, but my husband is usually in charge of the actual crepe making and he's been so busy with school that it's been impossible to get done.  We generally make them as we eat them, which means there's always a few people waiting for the next crepe to come off the pan.  It's a bit of a production, so we don't have them often.  It wasn't until I was snooping around the recipes over at Thy Hand Hath Provided that I realized that crepes can be made before hand.  Once again, like the chicken noodle soup, the obvious eludes me.

We make our crepes by sauteing up some garlic and mushrooms, finely chopped, and then adding a bunch of chopped spinach and cooking until the spinach is wilted.  I took the advice of Thy Hand and did this the day before.  It didn't look like much in that little bowl, but it ended up making more than enough. 

Then we make the crepes. 
Here's my crepe recipe.  I don't know where exactly we got it, but we've been using it for a few years now.  I'm sure there are other more sophisticated recipes out there, but we like this one pretty well.

Crepes
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter
2 cups flour

We mix it all up in the blender.  I doubled the recipe and my blender threatened to die.  It's a wimpy blender.  I finally got so I could make a decent looking crepe using my electric skillet.  I would pour some batter in a circle and then pick up the whole skillet, tipping it around until the batter stopped running and started cooking all over.  Turn it over when it doesn't look wet anymore and cook a little longer.  I struggled with going too long and cooking them too  much.  They don't roll very well when they are cooked too much. 
If you are making the crepes as you eat them, add the filling right there on the skillet as soon as you turn the crepe over.  Roll it up and let it sit on the skillet for a bit while the cheese melts.  Our filling includes the spinach mixture as well as a few slices of lunch meat, like ham or pastrami, and cheese.  The kids prefer just ham and cheese in theirs.

Today, I made the crepes, took them off the skillet and then filled them and put them into a pan.  I got into such a groove, I didn't realize how many I made until I ran out of batter.  (Usually, we make dessert crepes as well, but I forgot)  We have enough for an entire other meal.  Guess I know what we'll be eating tomorrow.  At dinner time, stick the pan into a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. 

Making the crepes beforehand and then popping them into the oven at dinner time made my life so much easier.  I love when I can get almost everything done while the baby naps.  Maybe we'll be having this meal more often now.

4 comments:

  1. The bagels look good! I like them with cream cheese!

    Not sure if any of my family would eat crepes, so haven't tried it. Good idea to make ahead when you have time, especially with a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to make bagels (can you believe I never have?) And your crepes look beautiful -- and yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Dinner Crepes recipe. i make recipe home. make recipe my hobbies and your post are very beautiful.

    Romantic Dinner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful crepes! You've inspiried me to give it a try in the near future.

    ReplyDelete