03 February 2011

More projects

I realized yesterday that my baby is turning 1 next week.  I can't believe how fast this year went.  I then remembered that I had planned to make her some cloth blocks for Christmas, but when that got too busy,  I decided to put it off until her birthday.  And then I promptly forgot until yesterday.  I spent last evening and today putting these together.

I was a little worried about how they would turn out with all the different patterns and colors, but I think they ended up pretty cute.  I was worried about them being too small, so I made them big.  Really big considering they're for a baby.  Too big maybe...so I added the ribbon for something to get a hold of.

A few weeks ago, I brought a gray sweater home from the second hand store.  It had a very big turtle neck on it that my husband decided would make at perfect beanie.  So, he cut it off.
Now we just have to figure out how to finish the top of the hat.  Gather it up?  Fold it and stitch?  He can't decide, so this project is on hold.


A few days ago I had a craving for some craisins, you know, raisins, but from cranberries instead of grapes.  Then I remembered that I had some cranberries in the freezer.  I bought them around Thanksgiving time without any idea of what to do with them, so they ended up in the freezer.  I had cranberries, and I have a dehydrator... maybe I could make myself some craisins? 

The instructions I had said to blanch the berries, then freeze them and then dehydrate.  Since these were already frozen, I just blanched and dried.  I expected them to shrivel up while drying, but they didn't.  Unfortunately I just kept drying, thinking they would eventually shrivel up.  Instead, I have dried out berry shells with almost nothing inside.  Maybe I can rehydrate them a bit... probably not.  I kept them just in case I think of something to do with cranberry crumbles.  They do look pretty in a jar though though.  Maybe next year I'll get it right.

4 comments:

  1. I think the blocks look cute, I can imagine her throwing them all over the place, Maybe you could make her a target, huh? ;-)

    I think gathering the beanie might look a little childish - depends on where he plans on wearing it, I suppose.

    Yah - how do they make those craisins, they are nice and chewy, maybe a lower temp. My old dehydrator was a little too hot, I think. It was hard to make fruits leathery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blocks -- love them. You did a great job.
    The hat -- I agree with Sharon -- gathering it might make it look "girly."
    The craisins -- better luck next time. I haven't tried them, but lower temp and longer time might work?

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love those blocks!! You did such a great job on them :) It not fair how fast kid grow is it?

    ReplyDelete