30 May 2010

the weather...ugh



It seems like these past weeks have been a major roller coaster of sunny, beautiful weather, and then a return of winter. As I sat, looking out the window, watching the snow fall yesterday, I can't help but wonder if spring will ever be here to stay. I've lived here almost my entire life, you would think I would be used to springtime in the Rockies by now, but I don't remember having such a chaotic spring in quite a while. We have hot, sunny days, followed by freezing weather and snow. Then the wind! Wyoming is known for it's wind, but this was something else. We even had hail last week.
Not only has this crazy weather caused us all to catch colds, it wreaks havoc on my spirits. It seems like for the last month and a half I've been waiting to plant out my seedlings until the next cold spell passes. But every-time one passes, there's another one moving in! It causes me to scramble to cover and protect the plants that are already out, poor things.
It strikes me today... what a difference a day makes. Yesterday, I was in despair that spring would ever come and about to give up on my little garden. Today, we're back to t-shirt weather and I may just start transplanting. Who knows? Maybe this time it's really spring!

3 comments:

  1. Wow-that would be awful for me! That's got to make it hard for planting any food, how do you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be discouraging and most people around here don't try. We use just about every season extender we can rig. I've got wall-o-waters, agribon row covers and mini-greenhouse type things. I think we've made it through the nasty weather though. I'm going to plant out my seedlings today or tommorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh.my.goodness.
    SNOW???
    It is hard for me to even imagine. Here in the deep south we had snow for two hours in February, and it was the first time since 1978. It did not stick, and it was 70 degrees the following week. It has been in the 80s and 90s pretty much since early March.
    I guess you have to adjust your entire lifestyle to fit this weather, unless you were raised in it maybe?
    I would find it fascinating, but i don't know how long I might last. I love snow, i just don't know if I love snow in...June.
    Oh, and thanks for stopping by and your sweet comment.
    Come back by anytime for a dose of hot and humid! Served daily...until December. Then some rain, and then back to hot and humid.

    ReplyDelete