02 August 2010

Happy harvesting


I almost had one of those days where I get so much done and it all works out great... almost. I actually got up early today! That's hard for me, but today I did it and I headed out to the garden to do some much needed weeding. I came home with more than I expected. It was such a fun morning in the garden. The peas that I gave up on actually had some pea pods ready to pick. Those wonderful 'one ball' squash had two more for me, I picked a head of lettuce and all my beets --nine total. Not a good beet year. One and a half pints of pickled beets is all I got. We use the greens too. Surprise! One of my mystery squashes is an acorn squash. I don't know much about them. I think it was ready to pick. Do they store well? Guess I'll be doing a little research. I also accidentally broke off some green cherry tomatoes. I doubt they'll ripen, but we'll see.

Garden tended, two loads of laundry, canning, cookies, bread, dishes, dinner started... of course something had to go wrong. Somewhere in there, I killed the bread. It started out so great, but it ended up two ugly, stubby loaves. Not my greatest baking moment.

2 comments:

  1. acorn squash keeps well. We love it roasted in halves with brown sugar, maple, and butter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I'd read that they keep well, but they seem so small, I thought maybe I was wrong. Thanks for the idea for cooking it. Maybe we'll eat it tonight.

    ReplyDelete